Wednesday, March 19, 2008

I have been thinking about Necole's experience of Esperanza as isolated... and my reading is sooo different, maybe not: she keeps company with her imagination, and learning. One of the arcs in the novel is the progression of language and the inclusion of literary terms. As I read "leap and somersault like an apostrophe and comma" (p.71) I remembered the time when I discovered books as companions. They were reliable, and interesting, and available when you needed them. I imagine Esperanza making the same discovery. When she speaks of finally arriving at the house on a hill with a yard and a garden and bums in the attic, I love her for wanting to go somewhere else, but not wanting to leave anyone behind. But I suppose we each read the book in an autobiographical way. Necole, you probably like people more than I do... so, you wonder where her posse is. I'm busy noticing how she is growing towards her goal of expanded possibilities, and can't imagine she has time to be lonely. There is so much about shoes. People talk about finding one's voice, but for Esperanza it seems to be about finding her feet.

Beth, I am going to think about music for your visuals... The balloon photo reminds me of a Truffaut film, but I don't hear the music yet...

4 comments:

beth.deth said...

"There is so much about shoes. People talk about finding one's voice, but for Esperanza it seems to be about finding her feet."

I feel with you bringing this up Colette that Esperanza is always losing sight of her footing, or always being shuffled around not knowing or having a solid ground. In Camelo she too, doesnt recall what its like to be firmly planted in the grown. for example a tree, with roots and such. I guess as a child you always want your footing to be grounded but at the same time there goes so many question without answers when you're a child. and you never know what end is going to be up when you come from a low income family. I feel that shoes could also represent this notion of new and old as well. with a new pair of shoes how does one feel.. but at the same time how come we can never throw out those terrible 3 year old shoes that always do the job. ... lots of thoughts to think about. just thought i'd share my piece.

houseonmangostreet said...

I agree, lots of shoes and talk of going places. When I think of Esperanza as isolated, I think even though she's surrounded by everyone, she's no doubt lonely. She's kind of like the new reporter, always knows the stories, yet never part of the story. Each chapter was her recollection of what was happening on Mango Street. I find her to be a loner, I just think that she is!

houseonmangostreet said...

I associated her shoes with sex. The read ones were the envy of all the girls, they all wanted to trade yellow for red, as soon as they put the shoes on, men were making passes at them and told them they were gonna call the cops for seeing little girls in shoes like that. In addition, all of the girls, upon putting the shoes on, felt sexy! These shoes can mean so many things, this novel is filled with symbolism!

Colette said...

Yeah, definitely a lot about shoe economy as part of the sex trade! And the desire for new shoes and and the terror and thrill of being seen and seeing oneself differently because of shoes! Cisneros really makes meaning with every inch of experience.