Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Read First 55 Pages

I love this book thus far. I read the first 55 pages (1/2 the book). I love the symbolism and I love the fact that I can relate to so many things (the house not being owned for a long time, the "latch key" kid stuff). The author does a magnificent job taking you "into" the story. The main character Esperanza, has no connectivity to anyone; she doesn't have a best friend, sure there's Rachel and Lily, but that's not the same, she doesn't connect with her sister "she's too young for me" and hardly mentions her brothers (Carlos & Kiki) "They are best friends". I assume Kiki is a boy, she never metions otherwise..... She has noone in school that she connects with and seems lonely. This can be related to her friends that are friens with her until Tuesday and the fact that her family moved so much. She doesn't even like the house she's in, eventhough it's purchased, it's not the "one". She even hates her name, her one connection to another person (her great-grandmother)

I did not understand - Davey's baby sister & Davey's baby brother (I am sure someone can explain)

I like "And some more" and assume that as the kids are jumping rope, the names being called out are names of the kids on the block (the families?).

Again, great read, so much symbolism (sexual and racial) that I want to unveil as I continue to read and be able to connect certain phases.....

~Necole

3 comments:

Colette said...

Hummm your observation of Esperanza's isolation is intriguing. I hadn't thought about her that way; I was too busy enjoying the connections she describes through her experiences. More later, CG

beth.deth said...

necole-

i like how you point out that Esperanza hates her name, even though its the only connection to her great grandmother! i was born on my great grandmothers birthday and wish my parents named me after her, but no such luck. However Esperanza being a young child hates everything it seems and seems to be miserable, but the simple things cheer her up. WHY IS THIS? i think everyone does it. i just never understood why. We are always looking for something more. something better. why cant we just understand and accept what we have as humans? i think this ties into the wants and needs and what allows us to define if we have enough.

Colette said...

I finished the book and still am uncertain of Davey's sibling question. You will have to talk with me about this. Perhaps it requires a conference call.